object-oriented cryptographic library

object-oriented cryptographic library

Post by mischief on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm
([msg=20300]see object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

i've been looking for a crypto library for about a week now, with no luck really.
here is what i have found so far, and my qualms with the libraries:

• Crypto++ -- this is an extremely full featured library, even including things such as socket wrappers and deflate. however, the documentation is absolutely terrible. the developer expects people to dig through the doxygen documents, and i am not that good at C++ to figure out how to get it functional from the source alone, as it is quite complex.
  • OpenSSL -- the widely known opensource ssl library. this library is full featured, and well documented, but not object oriented.
  • hashlib++ -- a simple object oriented library, however it only incorporates MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA384, and SHA512.
  • Mhash -- has a wider range of hash functions than hashlib++, but is not object oriented.

ideally, i'd like something like crypto++, or better yet, i'd like to use crypto++. but it is really poorly documented. i couldn't even get MD5 working. :(

if anyone has any suggestions for a good library, i'd appreciate it.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: object-oriented cryptographic library

Post by BhaaL on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:17 am
([msg=20319]see Re: object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

As expected, I just took a peek into the source of hashlib++. Nothing more but a mere wrapper around the old C-Source for MD5 (etc).
You do C++, so you should also like to reinvent wheels. I don't have a crypto one in my closet, so I can't really lend you a hand on that :)
Besides, the few (one?) algorithm you need, vs. the size of the whole lib, it probably makes more sense to simply write your own wrapper for the particular stuff.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by mischief on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:44 pm
([msg=20339]see Re: object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

thanks for the input BhaaL, however, i think i am going to use Botan. it is very well documented and full featured.

it isn't that i am looking for a few particular features. i am looking for a wide set of features for me to play around with. :)
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by sidebottom on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:39 pm
([msg=20344]see Re: object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

mischief wrote:[*]OpenSSL -- the widely known opensource ssl library. this library is full featured, and well documented, but not object oriented.

OpenSSL is well documented? Really...since when?
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Post by mischief on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 pm
([msg=20345]see Re: object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

sidebottom wrote:
mischief wrote:<br>[*]OpenSSL -- the widely known opensource ssl library. this library is full featured, and well documented, but not object oriented.<br>
<br><br><br>OpenSSL is well documented? Really...since when?

man 3 crypto
man 3 md5

or http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/crypto.html
or http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/md5.html

:)
looks decently documented to me.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by sidebottom on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:57 am
([msg=20420]see Re: object-oriented cryptographic library[/msg])

mischief wrote:
sidebottom wrote:
mischief wrote:<br>[*]OpenSSL -- the widely known opensource ssl library. this library is full featured, and well documented, but not object oriented.<br>
<br><br><br>OpenSSL is well documented? Really...since when?

man 3 crypto
man 3 md5

or http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/crypto.html
or http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/md5.html

:)
looks decently documented to me.

yea LOOKS decently documented...but obviously have never tried to use it ;)
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Return to C and C++