The C language

Re: The C language

Post by tgoe on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:25 am
([msg=30336]see Re: The C language[/msg])

C++ is a huge, ugly and complicated beast. Remember that its very reason for being is to remedy perceived deficiencies in C. If you don't know C beforehand, you won't know why you're using C++ or even if you should. OOP is no excuse... especially if you're a beginner :?
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by hawaiian lab on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:58 am
([msg=32023]see Re: The C language[/msg])

C is a very good language to learn first. Were previous posted have stated the redundancy of learning C then C++ and made C to seem unimportant, but i can assure C is probably the most important. For my operating system classes is all in C. C can teach you basic ideas of pointers, malloc, and garbage collection which java has nothing to do with. it is important to understand these basic things before you move to inheritance and generics. If you really want to understand what is going on i would encourage the full ladder of binary using a simple ISA(instruction set architecture) like LC-3 or MIPS or some type of RISC architecture so you can appreciate what is going on. Then moving on to assembly and maybe challenging yourself with x86 when you understand it all. I feel comprehension of these subject matters will better suit you for multi threaded programming. C++ and java is good for inheritance and generics and whatever C++ generics are called. it is also with these OO languages you can implement more advanced data structures like B+ trees and of the sort with more ease.
hawaiian lab
New User
New User

Post by theguyofdoom on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:00 pm
([msg=32049]see Re: The C language[/msg])

C is the basis of many, many languages.

C++ is C + Object Oriented stuff

C# is microsofts reinventing Java + adding .NET bloat
theguyofdoom
New User
New User

Post by Capitan Hook on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm
([msg=32067]see Re: The C language[/msg])

tgoe wrote:C++ is a huge, ugly and complicated beast. Remember that its very reason for being is to remedy perceived deficiencies in C. If you don't know C beforehand, you won't know why you're using C++ or even if you should. OOP is no excuse... especially if you're a beginner :?

depends in wich contex are you saying it...if you are thinking about the look of a code, you are wrong, c code is quite messed up than c++, but I agree with advice that is much better to start with c than with c++, because when you know c, you know the programming logic, and every code that you see will be understandable (i'm not sure that it's rught spelling), for example i know c really good, and i almost never before saw javascript, but it didn't stoped me to pass all javascript misions on this page cuz I know c, and allmost all programming languages are similar...
P.S. sorry for my baaaaaaaaad english, I'm still learning...
Capitan Hook
New User
New User

Previous

Return to C and C++