Game Programming

Game Programming

Post by anonim221 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:25 am
([msg=80148]see Game Programming[/msg])

Do you guys know how to control game characters with the help of programming( especially C++ and Java)?
For e.g. if you want to move the limb forward when the user presses some button, do you define hand as an object or class or something like that and most importantly is there any way you design that character in one place (e.g. Autodesk Maya) and categorize the limb into certain category of class or object etc. and use programming to control that? :D

Thanks,
anonim221
anonim221
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Game Programming

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:53 am
([msg=80150]see Re: Game Programming[/msg])

How much do you know about programming in 3D: are you familiar with the term tweening? If I recall correctly, Blender includes facilities to do that in 3D (Maya probably does too). If you want to make the movements on the fly however, you should use keyframes, you're going to want to use a game/animation engine that's available (Ogre3D?) or create one yourself. If so, you have to choose between OpenGL or DirectX for starters. Also, this link might help. And, that's about all I know about the subject, haven't done any 3D programming myself :)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anonim221 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:58 am
([msg=80152]see Re: Game Programming[/msg])

Thanks for the reply cyberdrain!

I know about keyframing, but as far as I know keyframing just develops a "movie" which has predefined motion of character, users cannot control the motion. But in games, the motion should be controlled by the input generated from the user. What I want to know is that how the user generated input controls the motion and what kind of technique is used?
anonim221
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 am
([msg=80156]see Re: Game Programming[/msg])

Well, I don't really have experience in this topic, but I would guess the keyframe would be conditional. Say you press a key, the program keeps listening for which key is pressed and in response knows which animation to play and uses keyframes and an animation engine to do it. At least that's what I gather from this link. I also read somewhere a different technique can also be used, so you might be able to find more information on it elsewhere. The easiest way to do it would be using a rendered animation, but that wouldn't look good probably.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:54 am
([msg=80157]see Re: Game Programming[/msg])

without following up on any links in this thread from my experience in this stuff, a game character has several different animation sequences. walk farward, straft, jump etc. when a button is pressed the game engi e renders the animation of the character ina loop if required and moves the camera forward for instance. ogre3d is a graphics engine, not a game engine. that needs to be emphasized I believe. I'm only a nerb in 3d games myself so I can only recommend the simple shit I've tried. blender has a game engine inbuilt .. python. if ur new to it. check that out and follow a tutorial. maya apso has a games engine buti don't know too many details. if ur serious and not just dabbling check out unity.. c#
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Return to C and C++