Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?

Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?

Post by Acedian on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 am
([msg=75956]see Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

So I downloaded Eclipse and downloaded the C/C++ extension. However, when I went to start a project in C an error window popped up. I know that I can use Xcode and Terminal to build C projects; however, I would prefer to use an IDE where I can compile and execute programs all in one place.

Admittedly, I have not looked into many other IDEs aside from Xcode and Eclipse. I am fairly new to programming (I have very limited experience with Python), but would like to build up my skill set as a programmer. Any recommendations would be useful. Thanks in advance.
Acedian
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?

Post by DrRoach on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:34 am
([msg=75957]see Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

It may be because you don't have the GNU maybe?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm
([msg=75960]see Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

What's the error? Eclipse is your best bet.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by centip3de on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm
([msg=75963]see Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

Another suggestion is to use Code::Blocks, a dedicated C/C++ IDE that is cross-platform. It also has a simple binary install for Mac OS X if you don't want to do it the fun hard way.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Acedian on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:15 pm
([msg=76053]see Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:It may be because you don't have the GNU maybe?

Considering I do not know what the GNU is, that could very well be it. Can you please elaborate or give me a link to where I can learn more about it and how to install it? Thank you!

fashizzlepop wrote:What's the error? Eclipse is your best bet.

There are 3 error messages. The first reads:
"Error 127 occurred while running autoreconf"; Resource: firstprog.c (The file name); Path: None listed;

2nd reads:
"Program 'g++' not found in PATH"; Resource: None listed; Path: None listed;
Location: Preferences, C++/Build/Settings/Discovery, [CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings] options;
Type: C/C++ Discovery Scanner Problem

3rd reads:
"Program 'gcc' not found in PATH"; Resource: None listed; Path: None listed;
Location: Preferences, C++/Build/Settings/Discovery, [CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings] options;
Type: C/C++ Discovery Scanner Problem

So it just looks as though I am missing those plugins, now that I have really examined the error messages. Meaning all I have to do is install the g++ and gcc plugins and I'll be good to go. Correct?

centip3de wrote:Another suggestion is to use Code::Blocks, a dedicated C/C++ IDE that is cross-platform. It also has a simple binary install for Mac OS X if you don't want to do it the fun hard way.

This is awesome! Thanks for the suggestion, I have installed it, but am having trouble building the project. It seemed to compile, but no other window popped up or anything. Is it possible that I didn't install a necessary plugin or something?

I really appreciate all the help. I'm also open to any sources that would enable to me to help myself. I really want to understand how to program and do enjoy learning and understanding how such things work, if you or anyone else has anything of that sort I would greatly appreciate that as well.
Acedian
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 pm
([msg=76054]see Re: Just starting: IDE for C on Mac?[/msg])

gcc or g++ need to be installed on their own. THey aren't plugins. They are compilers. I imagine brew can be used to install them. (I don't use MacOS, so I'm not sure.)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to C and C++